'Try, try till you die' taken too seriously?

Hello readers,

I like to read a lot and I’ll basically read anything, from instruction manuals to complicated novels, shampoo bottles and weird articles. It had been quite some time since I had read a book so I quickly ordered a few from Amazon. I didn’t have to think much on what to order as I had previously selected a couple of books when I was broke. I have a question for everyone, does shopping seem the most interesting thing on the planet when you have no money. Every time I run out of money, I want to shop.

So, I ordered these three books, two by Twinkle Khanna aka Mrs. Funnybones and one Grey by EL James. The two books are named Mrs. Funnybones and ‘The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad’. One morning when I was catching up on social media, I came across the columns she writes for ‘The Times of India’ and I found it absolutely amusing and I couldn’t stop myself from reading more. I’ve also read the Fifty Shades of Grey series (no judgement, please) and when I saw this book which has the story from Christian Grey’s point of view, I was intrigued. There’s something about these twisted, damaged characters which makes them attractive on the paper and thus, fun to read!



I first started reading Mrs. Funnybones as I was in the mood for something light and fun. It’s composed of 27 short stories as she goes about describing her day-to-day life. As I was moving from one story to another, I realized how she talks about the forbidden things, things we are not supposed to mention in our daily lives. She writes them with utmost ease and sincerity that the reader has to ponder upon them and I’ve been stuck on this one particular story. Oh btw, this isn’t a sponsored post, I talk about things I really like.

Back to the story, so she reads this news of suicide on the paper of some 14 year old boy or girl and recites the news of several similar ones, all of boys and girls at the young age. She questions that parents always tell us to perform our best, whether it’s at school or at sports or at million other activities we do. Now, obviously it’s not humanly possible for us to be golden in each one of them and while some of us can handle the pressures, others crack. They can’t talk to anyone around them and resort to the only solution that seems viable in their tiny heads. She asks that why do we forget to teach children that it is in fact okay to fail.


I remember few months back when I was going through a tough time, I called up my mother and was crying my eyes out and I’ll never forget what she told me that day, and I quote “Kya hojaega zyada se zyada, nahi hoga kuch and koi baat nahi” (meaning, what will happen to the max, you’ll fail and it is okay). To this day, whenever I stumble at something, I think of these lines and it cheers me up and then gives me the energy to succeed. We put way too much pressure on ourselves, don’t take it the wrong way, it’s good to try new things and succeed at them but there’s a difference between trying and holding on, and quoting from the book, “There is always another job, another woman, another best friend. Each day that you persist in a situation where you are miserable is a day wasted on the path that would lead you to happiness.” It’s our mental and physical health which is more important and I’ve been taught that by my mother.



As we grow up, we meet more and more people, and what we share with them influences their lives in some way or the other. Mental health is an issue which people don’t want to talk about while constantly seeking help for any other ailment. If you’re allergic to something, go to the dermatologist, if you’re suffering from arthritis, visit the orthopedics, but if you have difficulty dealing with things in your day-to-day life, keep hush, don’t talk about it, what the neighbors will think. Why do we care more about what the neighbors will think than our own children, friends and relatives? If every person cares to help at least one person through their issues, life would be so much simpler, wouldn’t it? It may save lives and help your close ones combat issues regarding confidence, failure, success and various other factors. Now, it’s up to you, whether you want an A+ from your child by putting pressure on them or you want your children to grow up healthy, happy and wise. Talk to your dear ones about their importance in your lives and how good they are doing, you may not realize but you may be helping someone in need. Don’t worry, there’s someone always listening. 

Share:

0 comments